"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, January 9, 2015

Design Variation

Remember this doily? Goodness, it's been longer ago than I thought since I last posted about it. I actually have been working on it off and on over the last few months. Each time I did a little bit, I would think, "Well, that was so little, it's not worth taking a photo and posting it yet." But guess what? Little bits add up! Today, I worked on it for a good long time in the waiting room at the garage (new front and rear brakes, and when I got the bill I remembered what I used to like so much about not owning a functional car). I am now just a few rings away from finishing this round, with just one more round left.


Funny thing about this. As I was making the last of those inward-facing points, I noticed it looked a little "off". I double-checked it against the pattern, and my stitch count was correct. So I looked at the previous repeats, and discovered that I had made every single one of those clovers wrong!


The first and third rings of that clover should be 6-6-3 and 3-6-6 respectively, and I made them all 6-9-3 and 3-9-6. Can you believe it took me to the end of the round to notice that? So of course I did what any sensible person would have done; I picked out the "correct" one I had just made and did it over "incorrectly" to match all the others. As long as they all match, it will look right. So now no one knows there's a mistake except you, and you're sworn to secrecy, OK?

8 comments:

  1. Too funny! Never mind- it looks just great! : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you too out the correct one and did it to match. Looks perfect this way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, well! I made a similar mistake in my Jan Stawasz that I have just finished (posted in my blog). I misread the pattern and put in extra stitches in the middle ring of the clovers in the round motif. I only realised that as I was working the 8th motif and decided to continue making the mistake and finish off that round.

    Your doily looks great. If I use black thread, I can only tat during the day to be able to see the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sehr schönes Occhi - Patchwork. Sieht toll aus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sworn to secrecy! It is amazing how a little bit of tatting here and there adds up. The doily is looking terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly woman. It wasn't a mistake. It was a design enhancement!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete