"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 7, and the Edging Finished

Remember at the start of the TIAS, when I was concerned that my button might be too big? Well, today was the day it became clear that it is.


I will carry on for now; but if I ever decide to tat another Venus fly trap (because that's definitely what this is), I will be more careful with my button size.

And I have finished tatting the edging! It is nearly impossible to photograph, though. I tried taking pictures of it on the actual drape that it will be attached to, but the satin is too shiny. I ended up having to use a purple t-shirt as a background, as the best color to let the light gray thread show up well. And then I can't seem to get the whole thing in one in-focus shot. This was as close as I got:


And here are the stats:

Pattern: Christmas Tree Edging by Frivole (with the clovers on each end and the corner slightly modified because I wanted different bead patterns there)
Thread: Lizbeth color 605 Silver, size 20
Beads: Miyuki Delicas in gunmetal color for all of the normal repeats; for the two ends and the corner, I added Miyuki Delicas in silver and clear Swarovski bicones
Size: 12 1/4 inches along each side (each side being 15 repeats long, not including the corner); 7/8 inch wide

As soon as I finish posting this, I shall commence sewing it and the Square Elegance motif onto the drape. I hope to get it done by tomorrow evening, but I'm not a fast sewer at all. And then there will be the new challenge of getting a decent photo of the finished product...

I'll leave you with a close-up.

6 comments:

  1. The edging looks great! I guess button size really does count with this TIAS. Luckily, the first button I measured was the right size. I don't have too many that small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean sewing seems slower than tatting. But this is coming along very well nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty edging with the beads.

    ReplyDelete