"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Day 5, and More Edging

Jane released Day 5 of the TIAS today.


One TIAS participant, Maureen, wants it to be a rabbit every year. This year, I think she may have finally gotten her wish. I still haven't ruled out the Chinese dragon, though.

On the edging front, I've made really good progress.


I'm only edging the two sides, so having turned the corner means I am more than half done.

As with the first repeat, I changed the beads on the corner, adding Swarovski crystals to match the ones in the Square Elegance motif. I added even more beads to the corner repeat than I did to the first one, partly for the purpose of adding weight, and partly to create a focal point in the center. This ring is also therefore somewhat larger than the others; whereas in the original pattern the corner clover is identical to all the others. The final repeat will, of course, match the first one.



These close-ups are mainly to show the beads, of course, but they also show the construction details a little bit. I rarely make patterns that call for leaving a bare thread space between rings because it's so hard to keep it consistent. In this case, though, the unworked thread is such a short length that it's not a problem; moreover, I really like how the lock joins to the bare threads create the illusion of the threads being twisted around each other for a unique look. It's worth mentioning again that this is the Christmas Tree Edging designed by Frivole.

5 comments:

  1. Love the edging ! The entire ensemble is perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tatting is beautiful. And, a rabbit would be cute! I would like that, too. [currently on day 3]

    ReplyDelete
  3. The edging looks wonderful! I love the Swarovski crystal bead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is going to be wonderful all right. Just fancy enough. Great colours too.

    ReplyDelete