"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Vintage Tatting

Browsing an antique store yesterday, I found a couple of nice hankies.





I also saw but did not buy this purse.


It's not the greatest photo, taken with my phone through a glass case, but the whole thing is tatted.

There were a few other hankies and pillowcases with tatted edgings, but not very interesting patterns so I didn't buy any others. However, as I was digging through the piles of textiles, I did make sure to leave anything with tatting on it on top.

4 comments:

  1. What lucky finds! I think that purse is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pursue! The butterfly looks familiar - vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty handkerchiefs! I'm sure I have seen that butterfly before too, perhaps in an old Workbasket magazine? Or maybe one of the early 1900's ones in public domain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a stealthy tatter - and an observant one! The quality of the hankies looks to be very good.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete