"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Monday, November 28, 2011

The City by the Bay

My parents and I went to San Francisco, where my sister recently moved, for Thanksgiving. I didn't get any tatting done, except for a little bit during the 2-hour flight delay in Phoenix, but we had a great time.

Sea lions on Pier 39. There was a much larger group, but I forgot my camera that day, and they were too far away to get a good photo with the phone.

There was also a sea lion off by itself which was clearly sick. I called the posted number for the Marine Mammal Rescue Service, but I couldn't believe the number of people who were standing there saying, "Oh, look at the poor sick sea lion" and NOT CALLING THE NUMBER!!! I mention this because it is an excellent example of the well-documented phenomenon of human psychology where we all tend to assume that if there is a problem that many people are aware of, I don't need to do anything because someone else will take care of it. This is a perfectly easy tendency to overcome, but only if you are aware of it.

When we went by on an evening cruise around the bay the following evening, the sick sea lion was gone, so I hope that means there was a successful rescue. They can't always rescue an animal if it still have enough energy to fight back, but I don't think this one did. (They can't use tranquilizer darts because when the animal feels the dart, its instinct is to enter the water, where, being tranquilized, it will drown.)

For the rest of the trip I remembered the camera, so here's the Bay Bridge during said evening cruise...


...and the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.

3 comments:

  1. Well, thank goodness you phoned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - wonderful reminder of our great trip to San Francisco in 1980! We even flew over it in a seaplane, and DH got to take the copilot 'wheel' for a bit, as he had his license. Memories of our youth! I've always wanted to go back! Such a beautiful city! How nice that you'll be able to visit your sister there! Thanks for the photos!

    Your seal story reminded me of our recent trip to Lake Erie, where a seagull was hopping around with a fishing line stuck between his beak and 'foot' and he couldn't fly. We called for a rescue but no one showed up! He eventually freed his foot and flew off, and I've wondered how he managed after that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Sealion picture and also the Golden Gate pictures. Beautiful! I bet it was even more beautiful in person. I don't think I will ever get to the west coast of the country.

    ReplyDelete