"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Done!

None of these photos is really outstanding. I'll try again tomorrow with what passes for daylight in my apartment.




It took me longer than I expected to be able to put it together because so many coats of stiffener were required to make it hold its shape. And then a couple of the pieces bent slightly as I pulled them off the waxed paper I had set them on for stiffening and wouldn't bend back, so now they are stuck looking slightly off-kilter. I'm OK with that, though. Overall, I'm very happy with the way it looks.

Each star is attached to the one outside it by two jump rings, so they are able to swing freely and all end up at different angles. The mobile hangs from the ceiling by a length of invisible nylon thread.

The pattern is from Ineke Kuiperij's book Kerstallerhande 2. Between the diagram, the photos, and the glossary at the front of the book, I had no trouble figuring out the Dutch instructions. It helped that I also know a few words of German, and Dutch is so closely related to both German and English that I was able, as my dad put it, to just head-butt my way through.

This is the first piece of tatting I've done just for me in several months.

5 comments:

  1. I like the color, the movement, the design. How nice to create something you like just for yourself! We should all do that for ourselves more often. I can picture each piece in a gentle breeze twirling round and round. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great gift for yourself. One that you will enjoy for years to come. The colors you used are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks very unique. Such a great way to show how versatile tatting is. Lovely!!
    umintsuru

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I like it alot!!

    the only 3D tatting I've done are flowers... I actually feel a bit intimidated to do snowflakes like that... I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily, the neat thing about it is each piece is flat. You tat them all separately and then attach them with jump rings (jewelry findings), so there's really no 3D tatting involved at all.

    ReplyDelete