"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Better

Here is an improved photo of the mobile, taken in morning light.


The colors are much more accurate here. It makes a very interesting shadow on the wall, too, don't you think?

And here is what I started on during all the hours I spent waiting for the stiffener to dry on the mobile.


This is the beginning of a pair of doilies for next year's relief sale. My mom says doilies don't usually do too well at the sale, so I won't make very many of them. But I figure there are always a few people who still like traditional doilies. Or maybe I could take a page from Isdihara's book and call them candle mats. The finished size should be about eight inches, so they will sit nicely under a pair of candlesticks or vases.

The pattern is "Emily" from the book Elegant Tatting Patterns by Janet Carroll. I've always been drawn to this pattern, although I've never tatted it before. As the book title says, it looks elegant. I also think it's a very timeless design. You know how some patterns look dated a couple of decades later? I don't think this ever will.

I still have four rounds left to tat on these. I decided to work on both doilies at the same time because I knew that if I finished one I wouldn't want to do the second. I'm finding that they do need to be blocked every couple of rounds, so doing it this way I can work on one while the other is blocking.

I decided, after considerable debate, to make these in all white, which is something I hardly ever do. I still keep thinking, oh, I could just do one round in blue... but no, I will stick with the white to let the design shine through. I'm using Flora size 20 (and it feels like rope after using size 80 for so long on the mobile).

During the several weeks that I didn't post, I also got behind in reading other people's blogs. I'm getting caught up now. It's nice to see what other people are working on.

7 comments:

  1. It isn't often that a motif stops me in my tracks like the beginning of the doily did. Wow- it really is elegant.

    What about size 80 thread, stop where you are and make them earrings?

    And the mobile is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the mobile is amazing. I'm gobsmacked. Wish it was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mobile is amazing - and in #80! Lovely work.

    Love the pattern - I have not tatted it either - and have admired it often. And it is perfect in white.

    I do know what you mean about the rope! i have been using #10 for the jacket cuff - in black no less! - that I had to buy especially for the trim. It feels so huge and stiff comparatively!

    I have some of my "present beads" ready to go on my next project - in #40 thread. Whew!
    Fox : )

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Squijum,
    Get your claws into the middle of that hanging purple thing and pull down - hard.
    Your Buddy,
    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I have stiffened many of my 'small' tatted ornaments(especially the 3-D items), I'm impressed how you managed to stiffen this magnificent, large mobile! It's truly an impressive work of art! I'm curious what stiffener you used. I've had good success with Alene's for the past 20 years!

    These doilies look wonderful so far! (This is pretty just as a medallion!) Your long picots are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I use Aleen's too. I like how you can control the stiffness by how many coats you use. And I used a picot guage on those long ones!

    Gian-- I tried last night, but she wouldn't stop watching me. --Squijum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful in the daylight!
    Smart thinking on doing both doilies together. I think they'd look great as earrings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mobile is gorgeous! And your doily starts are both elegant! :)

    ReplyDelete