"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Les Belles

Today's pattern is "Belle" by Marilee Rockley. I swear she's not paying me to advertise her books; I just really like them, especially Up and Tat 'Em.




The top thread is Marilee's "Forest" HDT. Next is "Raspberry Ripple with Real Vanilla" by Tatskool. Finally, despite what I said in my last post, a commercially dyed thread, Olympus color M12 (I think); this thread may not have quite the character of hand-dyed, but it is still very pretty and delicate looking.

My goal for these items that I'm making for the sale is to make no two pieces alike, and not too many in either the same pattern or the same thread. So for any given pattern I'll make a few in different colors to try to cover a variety of tastes, but I won't make the same pattern twice in the same thread. Basically, I want people not to think they can "think about it and come back later", because they might not. I want them to realize that if they think they might want something, they'd better buy it right away because there's not another one. Besides, part of what you want when you buy something handmade is that it is completely unique.

7 comments:

  1. They're all beautiful, and I would definitely feel that I needed to purchase now rather than later. I need to be braver with my tatting. I look at designs and think they're way too complicated for me. I'm glad to see that you are not hesitant to expand your horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you'll be having quite a selection of beautiful and unique pieces for your sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go, girl! All look very tasty!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty pendants! I pink ones are gorgeous, I am sure you will be able to sell them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miranda I believe you that you are not getting paid to advertise Yarnplayers stuff! It's totally awesome! I love her patterns and I love her HDT's and I love her books and I'm also totally addicted to her stuff. My tatting life was totally BORING before I started blogging and then it's because of blogging I found ALL these totally awesome tatting artists like Marilee Rockley and many others! I am a faithful follower like yourself! I meant to say thank you for your very nice welcome back on my birdfeeder post and I got lost somewhere in real life land! ha ha ha! I am back blogging now that I have this camera/software issue solved! See what is a tatting blog without a camera...you know what I mean...jellybean??? LOL! haaa haaa! Well there's a little more to my disappearance than just THAT!!! I will be explaining it all in a blog post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Chiclet! I'm so glad to see you back in blogland (again!)! Yup, I definitely know what you mean about being without a camera. I consider it serendipity that mine broke when it did, though; it was just in time to get a new one for my birthday, and the new one is much nicer than the old. Hope to see some new pics from you soon!

    ReplyDelete