"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Great Unveil


Finally, the finished dragonfly pond. Clearly, the proportions are not accurate, but since the dragonflies are the point, I'm happy for them to be a little bit larger than they "should" be.

The scene was inspired by the Dragonfly Sanctuary Pond at the Albuquerque BioPark Botanic Garden. Although I wasn't trying to represent any real species, I wanted to include a variety of different dragonflies, as well as appropriate plant life to complete the ecosystem.

In keeping with my goal of not letting the dragonflies look like something pinned to a card in an entomologist's lab, I lightly stiffened their wings so they would stand up off the surface. In a few places, the glue got a little bit smeared, so I just touched those spots up with a little extra varnish, and they look fine now. And where the glue showed through the lily pad a bit, I put a few drops of varnish to look like the water that pools on a lily pad. I think that's all the new details of construction; everything else can be seen in previous posts.



9 comments:

  1. This turned out very well! I think your choice of the wood piece for the base was excellent, adding a lot to the overall look. The idea of incorporating your glue "mistakes" is great! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful piece of art. I've been watching your progress for weeks and love how it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow! this is great love the whole thing and such a cute idea wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out beautifully. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's just gorgeous! Good job sticking with it and finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely now I see the whole thing put together your idea is totally brilliant, I don't think it matters if the Dagon fly is bigger it looks good
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely project! It's beautiful! Also it was a nice surprise to see my town mentioned in your post. I love that place too. We go to the botanical gardens every chance we get, it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete