"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Creating the Pond Surface

As I was poking around considering various possibilities for creating the pond surface, I found these nice wood slabs with the bark still attached at Jo-Ann's. They basically just cut diagonally across the log to make an oval, sanded the cut surfaces smooth, and left it at that.


I was looking at various other unfinished wood pieces, but when I saw this, I liked the natural look of having the bark on it. All it needed was a little paint. I may have to outsource the more complex painting projects, but even I can manage to cover a flat surface in a solid color.


I am in the process of finishing it with a clear protective varnish on both sides. It's taking more coats than I was expecting to get the nice smooth finish I want, but I think one more coat should do it. Then I'll be ready to start gluing down the tatting.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely piece of wood, should work well for the lily pond.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and I did something like this years ago with my wedding invitation lasted over 30 years :) The blue will be great for tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mind boggles at your creative ideas! This is the perfect backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I was unable to comment on your latest blog post, do like the motif, especially those splendid beads. Also to say your pond looks great, we have a lot of varnish in our house with all the woodwork that takes place and it is not an easy element to use. Well done. Looking forward to the finished project

    ReplyDelete