"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Earrings Improved

In the last post, I said I liked Marilee Rockley's Kinetic Earrings, but I wasn't happy with the way I had tatted the pendulum section of either earring. The pendulum in this design is the little secondary part that dangles in front of the main motif. Last night I retatted just the pendula. Each one is tiny and takes only a short time to tat; and if you make the top ring as a SSSR with the second thread encapsulated, there are no ends to hide.


These came out much better. Most importantly, I paid more attention to my tension on the lock-stitch chain, so they both came out the same length. I was also more careful with where I started in the colorway; I was hoping to get at least two colors in each pendant, but I actually managed to get all three colors in both of them.

Here's a photo that shows the two separate pieces better.


Probably anybody else, especially a non-tatter, would have thought they looked just fine before; even I thought they were OK, they just weren't as good as I wanted. And if you're not happy with your own work, then you have to do it over, don't you? I'm glad I did.

I always tat sitting in my recliner with my feet up, and a fleece blanket over my lap. I use the blanket even in summer because Squijum likes it; this time of year, of course, it's very cozy.


Funny thing. He won't sit on my lap without the blanket, but he won't sit on the blanket without me.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I see the improvement. Very nice earrings, especially after the fix.

    MrG won't sit on "his" blanket with me! But he will sit on just me. Aren't they funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't notice, till you pointed it out I had to go back and look but they are in good shape now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your earrings are lovely, and it is a super color! Your cat is very cosy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squijim is darling! I love the earrings. Good on you for your diligence.

    ReplyDelete