"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, June 6, 2014

Bored Yet?

I'm not. Every time I add a motif, the doily looks slightly different. Still, I don't really have anything new to say about it.

Up till now, you've always seen it pressed flat in the scanner bed. Now it won't fit in the scanner anymore, and the photo shows how much it will need to be blocked before I attach it to the pillow.

I like the geometric shapes in the negative spaces so much that I am starting to see them even more than I see the tatting.

Have you seen Frivole's latest version? At this point, she's got the smaller motifs around the outside (although I gather she is planning to continue, so it will change), and it looks completely different. This is truly a versatile pattern.

8 comments:

  1. I just downloaded the two motifs - yours and Frivole’s and yes they do look so very different!

    It is such a beautiful pattern that I now want to tat it myself!

    I am not sure what you mean about the picots as yours does have a lot of them too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they're in different places, and hers are considerably longer. In the version she's working on (page 65), the picots need to be longer, and in some cases graduated, to give a good effect, because of the way they're clustered. In the version I'm making (page 95), the picots are more evenly distributed around the rings, and so shorter picots of all the same length look better.

      So it's not really the quantity of picots that concerns me, it's the length of them. Since my back is going to be rubbing against this pillow a lot, and I have no desire to sew down every single picot, I decided the pattern with shorter picots would be better for my purpose.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks very elegant!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking so beautiful! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never bored to see your beautiful tatting!

    What I like about this doily/mat is that the connections are 'few' on the larger motif, and the smaller motif can be done later, also with just a few joins. The overall effect fools the eye as it looks as though there are many more motifs with complicated joins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never! I love seeing how it grows and changes.

    ReplyDelete