"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy Tatting Day!


All worn out from a hard morning of eating, getting petted, and looking at birds out the window. Life's rough. Oh, and he had to push that box out of the way, too. It normally sits right where he is here so he can play in it whenever he wants to but I won't trip over it. But this morning it was in the way of the sunny spot, so it had to be moved.

So what did you do for International Tatting Day?

In the morning I did some more work on the Wondrous Window set. I almost finished the bracelet, but I had to stop so that I could get to the coffee shop at a reasonable time to sit there and tat for a while. Yeah, my life is rough, too.

I don't like to work with beads outside my apartment. I'd rather not become known as the Crazy Bead Lady, chasing all over the coffee shop and crawling under other people's tables after runaway beads. Therefore, I chose to put the bracelet on pause and work on something else for my act of public tatting today. I will finish the bracelet and maybe the earrings tonight.

Remember the temper tantrum I threw back in December, when I broke a core thread while sewing ends in? I decided then, and still feel, that in that particular case retatting the chain would have resulted in too many ends in too small a space, and so there was nothing to be done about it. I always knew I would come back to the motif, though, and today I started it again.


Motif number 49 from The Tatted Artistry of Teiko Fujito. It's not as complicated as it looks. The shuttle with the lavender thread on it is used throughout, but the black thread stays at the inside and the turquoise stays at the outside; you just let the extra shuttle dangle when you're not using it.

I also wore the "Belle" pendant that I showed earlier this week. And I was able to get my chocolate in cupcake form and eat it with a fork, so my tatting was safe.

A couple of people did ask what I was doing. We had a nice little chat, and I gave them each a motif from the grab bag that I always take with me when I tat in public.

I hope everyone had as nice a Tatting Day as I did!

10 comments:

  1. That re-start looks like it's going to be fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HE pushed the box? That is funny!

    That motif looks familiar... and complicated. Maybe I considered it at one time and realized that it was for later - much later! Looks very good so far.

    I suppose I qualify as that Crazy Bead Lady...

    Hope you had a great day.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Squijum pushed the box. Smart kitty.

    Once you get started, the motif really is just like regular tatting. You know you can tat anything you put your mind to.

    Crazy Bead Lady you may be, Fox, but only in the best possible way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing this progress .... awesome colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hhhmmm, 3 shuttles is a bit intimidating for me for now :/ Your motif looks very nice - and you do a great job of promoting tatting in public! I'm with you - I'd leave the beads home.

    Kitty certainly knows how to get what he wants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy International Tatting Day to you! The motif is coming along very nicely, probably I will try my hand at it as well. I like the way you spent your Tatting Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..I agree with "Happy Bluebird", three shuttles! Yikes!

    ..and poor dear kitty having to exert all the energy pushing that darn box out of his way. Poor poor Dear! (giggles)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you seriously made the most of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy tatting day, I had a bad day for pain but I did do some tatting sat here at home. It sounds like you had a great day and had a great time in the tea room at least you got asked what you were doing and someone took notice of you.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete