"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, October 15, 2010

New HDT's and How to Keep Them

I got Krystle's latest colorway, "Of Berries and Fairies".

There are two skeins of size 80, and size 40 in the variegated plus two matching solids. The second one on the left is really a pale lavender, not white, but my camera just doesn't do that color. I love the way Krystle's "solids" are really subtly shaded with different intensities of color. Krystle, I really love the sky blue in this colorway, too (hint, hint).

Up till now, I've stored my HDT's like this:


At Jo-Ann's today, I found a much better way. I'm sure it's old hat to cross-stitchers, but it's new to me.

So now I can store my HDT's like this:

Much easier to see, no? Now I've got them all separated by size and color, with enough room for expansion. Of course I've still got another whole bag of HDT's that are still in skeins...

Squijum is at the vet today getting neutered and microchipped. Maybe tonight I'll take advantage of him being drugged to wind a few more skeins onto floss bobbins.

By the by, this is my 96th post. My original purpose in going to Jo-Ann's today was to pick up a little something for my 100th post celebration. Stay tuned...

8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you like them! I do love that blue, and I am planning another batch with that. so maybe I'll do some solids too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you make the blue, you've got one sale for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see Krystle's thread tatted up. The colours are great.

    Poor Squijum!

    He seems so young! My cats - always male - have all been adopted after they were at least a year old, and all had been neutered already.

    That plastic thread holder is a smart idea. Mine are on floss holders and in a plastic box that has dividers for the threads - which also works. Isn't organization wonderful? Without it, a tatter can run into a big mess in no time, I find!

    Fox the Fastidious : ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the thread and the storage system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fox, yes he is young, just 5 1/2 months. He's doing well, though. He's been playing nonstop since we got home (scratch that idea of de-skeining a bunch of HDT's!), probably just happy to be home and out of the carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the perfect blue for something cloudy... and sunshiny..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could not read the blog because of the light type, but from the photos I thought the threads were lovely. xx bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about that, Ridgewoman. I've been having trouble with my background loading today. I re-copied the code and it seems to be working now, so the text color should show up better.

    ReplyDelete