"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, March 9, 2012

Dalia

Sorry to be taking so long between posts. This set of blue coasters are all made of four motifs joined together; four motifs obviously take four times as long to tat, so that makes for a longer time before I have anything to post.

My criteria for selecting motifs for this set are (1) a square motif that can be tatted in a single pass; (2) the motif is interesting to tat, since I have to do four of each; (3) the use of two colors enhances the design; and (4) joining four motifs to form a larger square brings out secondary patterns where they are joined. The master of this type of design, in my opinion, is Iris Niebach. Today's motif is her "Dalia" from Tatting Fantasia.


The motif does turn out to need a little blocking. Since I waited till the end to do this, rather than doing it after the first square was completed, this one got a little smushed in the scanner.

Here are the four joined together.


Hmm, the negative space at the center of each small square still needs a little adjusting. I'll be able to take care of this when I stitch it down to make the coaster.

14 comments:

  1. Salivating, Miranda, I am actually salivating as I look at this wonderful tatting. I love it. And the colour choice is fabulous. I have to do this one - it is absolutely inspirational. One of the nicest motifs I have seen. Great work.
    Fox : 0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and lacy--will be a beautiful set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so very pretty. Iris's patterns are such a great choice to do and your colors really make it. Karen in or

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely piece of tatting, I like the pattern, I don't think the hole in the middle is too large I thinks it gives interest to the design.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to smile every time I open your blog. The tag line about titles just cracks me up!
    Your coasters are beautiful. It is amazing how the pattern seems to change when several are put together. Flowers bloom where there were only corners before. It is so much work. I can't imagine letting anyone put a sweaty drink down on one of them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, StringyDogs, the tatting will be well protected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I would never have recognized the individual motif in the four put together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very elegant!!! And absolutely stunning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always a pleasure to look at your tatting (SO perfect!), especially with the 'click to enlarge' photo system. All of these latest motifs are gorgeous and pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, the 4 motifs put together looks complicated, but very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The motif itself is gorgeous, but the effect of the four motifs together gives it a different dimensions. Wonderful.
    Are there more square motifs in this book?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the book contains a number of motifs as well as larger doilies.

    ReplyDelete