"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chinoiserie

The next motif I chose for the set of blue coasters is Karey Solomon's "Chinoiserie" from her book Make Many Merrily. "Chinoise" is French for "Chinese", and "Chinoiserie" basically means "Chinese stuff" or "Chinese-looking stuff". Well, I don't know about that, but it's definitely a beautiful motif that is very satisfying to tat. Here's one square of it...


...and four squares of it:


I don't know why I can't manage to lay things on the scanner straight. Don't you just love the way these motifs join together?

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I especially like the secondary pattern when the motifs are put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is very pretty. I can't seem to get a straight scan either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are stunning. Love the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the 2 colors look in that motif!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice. I would love to see pictures of the full sets. I think they must look awesome together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne, you can see the first piece in the set in the previous post, "Masquerade". I have started tatting the next one and will show it soon. There will be four total in the set, and I promise to show them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color and the negative space with the multiple motifs!
    john

    ReplyDelete