"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, March 16, 2012

Coasting Along

I'm still plugging away at the coasters. The last one for this set is underway, but it has taken me a while. For this one, I am working from the book Tatting Together Square Motifs, published by Iris Niebach, but each pattern is designed by a different member of a designing class she once taught in Denmark. I really wanted to make the one by Ulla Bendtsen, which in my opinion is the most beautiful in the book, but there are certain joins in this pattern that distort the chains. I tried making these joins as written, I tried putting them in different places, I tried omitting them, nothing worked. I just ended up with a pile of wasted thread.


I think there were a couple more attempts, too, but these were all the scraps I could find for the photo. Does anyone have this book and have any insight into this pattern?

So I finally gave up on it and switched to the design by Elsebeth Rasmussen. This also turns out to be an interesting and challenging piece to make. In this one, you have to insert a "something" to make picots on the core thread. First, I used a paperclip as stated in the book, but this resulted in picots that were way too long; the motif felt floppy in the middle, and also it made the middle too large for the outside so that it cupped quite badly.


So I made it again, this time using a length of thread to make the core thread picots. Finally, I have something I can use.


Now I just have to make three more of them to complete the large square.

6 comments:

  1. Perseverance certainly has its rewards! You end result is stunning. Wishing I had a tip to offer, but (*ducks head in shame*) I haven't tatting anything from my copy of that book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking at that pattern right now and I think I am getting hives... I love all the patterns in that book , but have had even more problems than usual - if you can imagine!
    So, sorry I can;t help.

    But - now that you have pointed out this pattern, I think it might be a sign...next project after Kareys heart!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very nice, Your idea and finding a way of keeping going with it does you justice.
    They are going to look lovely
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I've been too intimidated to try any of the patterns in that book. I am officially on spring break now, so maybe I'll find some time to experiment in the next week. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep reading to see if anyone else can offer any insight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo, I am sorry I don't have this book of Iris. But when I will go to tatting show in June, I will meet some of the Danish tatters, Iris is working with, whom I could directly speak to. Iris might be there too, don't know.
    But beside this, please visit my blog, I recently had a similar problem with interrupting chains, caused to the fact that I chosed two colors.I will post it today, may be the discusion halps you too ;-)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Miranda! I am loving both coaster series - this blue squares thing is particularly special, I think.

    I also wanted to congratulate you on a piece of your tatting (I think!) that I saw at handy hand's Lizbeth galllery (here: http://www.hhtatting.com/lizb137.cfm). I think this is a really superb use of colour, I just can't wrap my head around how well the variegation works up on both sides - I think this is one time your perfectionism really pays off! Anyway, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete