"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, April 2, 2010

Vinnie's Doily

I finished what I started yesterday, Spring Doily 2 by Vinnie.

The thread is Stardate by Yarnplayer. In size 80, it's really a coaster rather than doily. It measures about 2 3/8 inches (6cm) across, which is just about what I was hoping for.

Overall, I found the pattern pretty easy to follow. I really like how Vinnie has you use a paper clip or marker thread to make a "down" picot so that the whole thing can be done in one pass. It reminds me of some of Iris Niebach's patterns. I knew that the paper clip would create a picot of a certain size, so I tried to make the other picots that size as well. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

I'm going to make another one in a more subtly-colored thread and add some decorative picots just to see how different it looks.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely tatting, done in sweet colours. I think adding decorative picots will make it more lacy and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! And so fast! Nice work.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    Lovely.Beautiful colors.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete