I haven't made any further progress on the doily. Well, I started the next motif, but then one of the threads broke in a place where I decided I'd rather start over than try to fix it. I do intend to work on it today and tomorrow, though.
In my last post, I said that I had tried Jane's method for joining without the color blip a few times in the past, but I never managed to eliminate the blip. I consider myself a pretty good tatter, and I can't stand being conquered by any technique, so I decided to give it another go. I have no idea what I was doing wrong before, but this time it worked perfectly on the first try.