"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Happy Late-ish Tatting Day

It's 12:38 am on April 2, so technically I missed posting on International Tatting Day, at least in my own time zone. OTOH, any night shift worker will tell you that if it's 6:00 Thursday morning but I haven't been to bed yet, it's really still Wednesday night. So there.

The truth is, I completely forgot it was International Tatting Day until I started reading blogs in the morning and saw everybody else posting about it. Shame on me! And I didn't even have any chocolate in the house-- double shame!! However, I had been planning on tatting and wearing tatting anyway, and I did manage to achieve both of these things.

In the afternoon I continued work on the pink flower earrings, but didn't get them finished in time to wear to belly dance class in the evening. I did wear the necklace, though. I got several compliments on it, so that gave me a chance to talk about tatting, too. After class I finished the earrings.


As promised, they don't quite match, yet they do clearly go together. I'm really quite taken with them, if I do say so myself.

And here's the complete set:


Sort of a wildflower effect, wouldn't you say?

Next year I'm marking International Tatting Day on my calendar so I remember to celebrate it properly!


Squijum thinks I should just go to bed already, and he's probably right.

8 comments:

  1. It's never too late to "celebrate" our tatting hobby :-))
    The set looks awesome ! I love the free style, wildflower effect .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the set.

    And I want to snuggle Squijum....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the set, too. When things are too regular, matching, or identical they look too processed for me. The wild flower effect is GREAT!
    I'm glad you got lots of compliments. You should have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and I call it freestyle tatting I do this alot and this came out good enough to wear and show :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous floral jewelry set!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flowery set, lovely pattern
    I hope you had a great day even without the chocolate,
    Happy tatting
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! Those are beautiful! I'm never sold on actually wearing the jewelry I tat, but I could totally see myself wearing this set--so clever!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete