"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Slow Progress

I'm now half finished with "Annalisa".


It's coming along rather slowly, as I still keep having to untat a lot. I WILL remember that join on the next repeat....

As you can see, it will need a fair amount of blocking when I'm done with it. And then there's the question of what to actually do with it. I'm not much of a doily person-- they just leave marks in the dust! The other option would be to mount and frame it. But then a square doily would look silly in a rectangular frame, and that's what all the "off-the-shelf" frames are; to get a square frame I'd have to have a custom job, and that's so expensive. Maybe I will just use it as a doily after all.

I think this is the best picture so far for capturing the true colors of the thread.

As for the TIAS, I'm back to thinking it's a sailboat, although I still haven't completely ruled out the Sydney Opera House. It all depends on how these triangles are supposed to be oriented.


8 comments:

  1. The doily is coming along well, very pretty. Sometimes I find beautiful frames with pictures in them at garage sales or good will and take out the picture, also you could stitch it on an organza bag, or a pillow, I could go on but wont!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brilliant. I actually just came up with an idea for framing this one, but I do happen to have a throw pillow with a sadly worn cover. Guess I'll just have to tat another doily for it!

      Delete
  2. Those doilies require lots of concentration. I highlighted the points where I might miss one of those silly joins. It's looking very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been know to carefully lift my doilies so that the dust pattern looks intentional. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pattern is very pretty in the thread you have chosen.

    Doilies. I do not know what to do with them either. Mine reside in a tin in my linen closet. I have given away many. Who knows what life they live now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the colors look in that doily!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be a lovely doily in those colours. It's a pattern that looks hard but very beautiful when finished
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete