"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Update on the Copyright Issue

I just heard back from Nancy Tracy. She doesn't mind the "Tat This!" challenge, since no one is trying to claim her idea as their own or make money from it, and she says she is interested to see what people come up with. On that note, Geraldine has finished her third round.

Unfortunately, it seems that the fabric manufacturer has violated Nancy's copyright, as she had never seen or heard of the fabric before. I really hope that she is able to get this resolved and get paid for her design. Until that happens, I don't feel right about owning the fabric, so I will be returning the piece that I bought.

Copyright is important. A person who comes up with their own original design deserves to get credit for it, and if someone wants to make money off of somebody else's design, the original designer deserves to get paid. If a designer offers to share their work that is fine. But nobody has a right to take somebody else's design without permission.

6 comments:

  1. Nancy comes up with some interesting designs. Her complete doily is a work of art.
    Glad that she was so understanding toward us tatters. Too bad the fabric company did do things right.
    returning the fabric is the only way to protest the injustice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cheek taking the design without asking, I don't blame you for returning the fabric. I am glad navy does not mind anyone doing the challenge
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you return fabric? The stores around here (Miami, FL) do not allow it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked at Jo-Ann's, we did take returns on fabric as long as it was a yard or more and the customer hadn't washed or cut it. This was corporate policy, so it should be the same at any Jo-Ann's. That was a long time ago, so it's possible that the policy has changed, but I'm certainly going to give it a try.

      Delete
  4. This has been an amazing saga! I'm sure Nancy was startled to hear the news! I can't imagine how the printing of this fabric can be traced.

    Geraldine did a nice job on her version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Rats
    I purchased 8 yards and had plans to make gifts for tat days.
    I'm sure no one at tat days wants a copyright violation gift, so now i'm stuck with this stuff.
    POOP, but thanks for the heads up. I'd be so embarrassed if I hadn't known.

    ReplyDelete