I finished the mirror-image part of Marilee's pattern, only I have to do it again.
The one on the left is the new one, and I thought it wasn't quite sitting right. When I put the two of them together, I realized it was because I made the sword section too short by one set of 3 ds. I'll rework it tomorrow and then be ready to start on the center section.
The thread is Lizbeth color 605, silver. The pattern calls for size 10, and it really does have to be for the finished project to be big enough. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you've probably seen me say that I can't stand working with anything larger than size 20 because it hurts my hands. Therefore, I don't own any size 10, and I wasn't about to buy three balls of it for one relatively small project, when I would never use it again. What I did instead was to double some size 20, and it's working very well (and yes, it does hurt my hands just like a size 10 would, but I won't have to do it for long). The double thread technique will be especially interesting when I get to the section that uses a variegated thread.