"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Squijum's Day

I haven't really done any tatting this week, but I wanted to stop in and say hi.

Thanks to Jeff for showing the flakes he has made from my "Angels in the Snow" pattern (see sidebar at left). I love seeing all the different colorways that people choose for this!

Sunday, I played the gig I mentioned a few weeks ago at Weems Artfest. Since, in addition to tatting, I have stated that this blog is "sometimes about my harp, sometimes about my cat", I thought I'd tell you how the day went from poor Squijum's perspective. This was the first time I've gotten dressed up since Squijum acquired me, and I played first thing in the morning. First, I had to shut him out of the bathroom while I did my make-up because he likes to pick up the brushes and run off with them. Then I had to shut him in the bathroom while I got dressed because he kept trying to grab my pantyhose. I left him in the bathroom until I had carried the harp outside because I couldn't deal with him trying to run out the door while my hands were full of harp. As soon as I let him out of the bathroom, I left the house for 2 1/2 hours. When I got back, I shut him in the bathroom again to bring the harp inside. This time after I let him out, I went straight to bed, then got up and went to work for 12 hours. He was mad at me for two days, and I can't say I blame him. He's over it now, though, and back to his usual cuddly self.

The gig itself went great. This was the kind of thing I like to do, just background music. I never get stage fright at this type of event because I can convince myself, whether it's true or not, that nobody's really listening and it's just like playing at home. Can't trick myself like that at a wedding. My playing was really "on" that day, too. Lots of people picked up business cards, so I'm hoping to get a few more gigs from it.

I also wore my new dress and matching tatted earrings. See, there's always something tatting-related.

2 comments:

  1. I love harp music... would love to be able to hear you play!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great gig! One word of caution: you had better watch thatharp... Your little master might be all cuddly-coo and sweet but harbouring sneaky revenge... Squijum might vent ... could be nasty.
    Fox ; )

    ReplyDelete