You see that Christmas ornament in my header? The dark red one with the blue-green diamonds? I've always really liked that one. I sent it last year for the annual relief sale at my parents' church. (Which reminds me, I haven't tatted much for the sale this year, but it's about time to get the things I have done in the mail.) I've kind of wished I had one like it for myself-- even though I don't put up a tree, it's just pretty. Then it occurred to me, I can make the motif for myself and put it on something else.
The thread colors on the ornament are Lizbeth 164 Blue River Glades and 656 Wedgewood Dark. I had intended to make mine in the same colors, but I could not for the life of me find the Wedgewood Dark in size 20. Obviously I have it, since I've used it, but do you think I know where it is now? I found it in 40 and 80, but I don't have the Blue River Glades in those sizes, so that didn't do any good. I guess it's time to organize my threads.
I finally settled on color 642 Lilac Medium to go with the Blue River Glades. You saw the results of my initial attempt in my last post. Here it is tatted correctly.
And here are four of them.
The first picture was taken with my camera, which darkened the colors a bit. The second was done on the scanner, which washed them out a little. The reality is somewhere in between.
The motif is Jane Eborall's Fandango Square. It's a lot of fun to tat, if you enjoy split rings. I do, and I really like the way Jane uses the two colors in a split ring to make patterns in this design.
If you look closely, you'll see that I did make one little mistake. I didn't notice it till I was pinning it on the blocking board, and it was too late to do anything about it then. It won't matter, though. When I sew it down, I'll tuck that extra picot underneath so it won't be noticeable. As for what I'm sewing it to, you'll find out in the next post.