"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bookmarks, Part 1

Here's the finished Chinese Coin Bookmark, designed by the lovely and talented Jon Yusoff.


It's done in Lizbeth color 122, Caribbean. I love this thread- it's got all my favorite colors in it. The main body of the bookmark is size 20; the lock-stitch chain and single motif are in size 40. I've never understood why, if you make the same motif in a thread half the size, the motif is not half the size. In this case, the single motif is 3cm across, and each section of the bookmark is 3.5cm. Curious.

I think I need to borrow Jane's brain cell #3. She, of course, uses it to create her ingenious patterns and invent new tatting techniques. I need it just to follow a pattern. I kept having to re-open rings because I apparently can't count to 4. And remember where I left off last time I showed this bookmark? I worked two more sections of it, and then had to cut ALL THE WAY BACK TO WHERE I WAS BEFORE because I had forgotten to join every single one of the chains. Can you see where I joined on the new threads? Jon's diagram is perfectly clear and easy to read. I just didn't pay attention.

Using a leftover scrap of thread, I made Lady Shuttle Maker's Treble Clef. And when I say leftover scrap, I mean that I had to finger-tat the whole thing, and I had to convert the final ring to a split ring or I wouldn't have had enough thread to finish the ends. This was my first folded ring ever.

A couple of notes for anyone who wants to try this pattern. After you make ring C, in addition to switching shuttles you also need to bring both threads around to the bottom of the preceding chain. I found it worked well to bring one thread in front and the other behind, like an alligator join. Also, if you do front side/ back side tatting you will need to start the first ring on the back side in order to end up with a forward-facing treble clef. Once I figured all that out, this turned out to be a fun little pattern to make. I'll definitely be doing more. I think maybe I see a pair of earrings in the future.

And finally, you may remember I said I'm planning to make bookmarks for some of the people who've helped me out since I got sick.


This is the start of the next one. It's another of Jon's patterns, Bookmark With Overlapping Chains.

6 comments:

  1. You are VERY welcome to brain cell # 3 anytime. The little stinker does go on vacation from time to time and leaves me in limbo. If you email me privately I'll tell you how to get hold of him!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tatting is gorgeous, thanks for the tip on the treble clef, I have made several and still have trouble. I will look at your tip tonight.
    Love the colours that you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the treble clef pretty well figured out, so drop me a line if you still have trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pattern. I love this color of thread too! Thanks for the tip on the Treble clef!

    Your header on your blog, the tatted tree is fantastic!!

    Happy Tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon's patterns are wonderful, and the color you chose is perfect for this bookmark.

    ReplyDelete