"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Bookmark

I love living in New Mexico because it's so warm and sunny.


Seriously, what kind of weather is this for the first day of spring? That's OK, it's melting already, and in the meantime, at least I have a nice springy-looking bookmark.



The pattern is Daisy Bookmark by Lenore English. She made it all in one pass, but of course I can never be that simple, can I? Since I was using two colors, I did the inner row of daisies first and finished it off, then the outer round with the green thread. When I got back to the beginning, I cut off the ball thread, kept the green shuttle, and added a second shuttle with the variegated thread to make the split rings. I did SLT's between the SR's, and started the end daisy with a single-shuttle split ring.

On the outer round, I had to increase the stitch count on the chains. When I tried to do it as written, the bookmark curved considerably. I thought it might straighten out when I did the other side, but after about the third repeat I realized that straightening it out would only lead to a ruffled mess. So I cut it off and started over with longer chains.

It's Lizbeth size 20 (you already knew that, didn't you?), colors 106, Spring Fling, and 685, Dark Evergreen.

With the leftover thread, I made this:



I suspect it may be the start of something bigger, but I don't know what yet. Flower? Easter egg? We'll see.

Handy Hands sent out an e-mail the other day. In case you missed it, they say that the size 80 Lizbeth will be available in June. Just in time for my birthday! I'm sure they planned it that way. I am saving up for this. I love tatting with smaller threads-- it's so much more delicate-looking-- but I love color even more, and I've been absolutely disgusted with DMC the last few years for discontinuing all their good colors. It will be so awesome to have another high-quality tatting thread in this size in so many colors.

1 comment:

  1. Miranda, that is sooo pretty!

    I tend to complicate things, too! Usually it would be a good idea if I just would READ the instructions properly BEFORE I begin!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete