"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Next Bookmark

After my last post, several people were drooling over these colors:


They are pretty luscious, aren't they? Lizbeth size 20 again. The variegated is color 131 Vineyard Harvest, and the solid is 644 Boysenberry Dark. I love how these colors make this very simple, traditional pattern look so bold and jazzy.

The pattern is by Nancy Tracy and can be found here. If you're a new tatter looking for a practice pattern, this is a good one. It's just straightforward rings and chains, with no tricky joins; and as I've shown, you can make it look as traditional or as modern as you want just by the colors you choose. I've added a tail (lock-stitch chain) with a little motif on the end. The motif is made of the same rings and chains as the first round of the bookmark, with the joins in different places to make it round.


When I saw the Vineyard Harvest on the ball I said, "Hmm, that's very, um, different, isn't it?" But I had seen it tatted up on a couple of other people's blogs, so I definitely wanted to try it. These are the colors I like for fall, rather than the oranges and browns, but no way was I going to wait till then.

One more bookmark, and then I move on.

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I've made this bookmark before, but not in these colors. You're right... it looks very modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours! Pretty.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours and the bookmar, love the Lizbeth thread they have a lot of great colours!!!!! Will have to try the bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I like seeing it on the ball and tatted up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, yummy colours, your bookmark is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete