"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Diane, Fox, Krystle, and Sherry

These are the four people whose ideas and "stuff" came together to make these pendants.


The centers are a gift from Diane, from her Doodad Double Dare. The pattern is Fox's "Athalia". The purple thread is "Twilight Grape" HDT from Krystledawne, and the red is LadyShuttleMaker's "Diablo".

The threads are both size 20, which made for rather large pendants, approximately 2 1/2 inches (6.3 cm) on the diagonal. They are lightweight of course, being lace and all, but for looks I will have to use fairly substantial cords to hang them from. I probably should have taken Fox's advice and used size 40, but I really wanted to use these colors, and 20 was the size I had. A lot of people like big, chunky jewelry though, so I think maybe these will sell.

I made the purple one first using the main instructions; for the red one, I used the alternate directions that make the large rings just a little smaller. This only altered the overall size by a tiny bit, but it did change the look somewhat, as the insides of the larger rings can be viewed as an extra negative space that isn't there in the other pendant. I don't think I have a preference between the two; I'm glad Fox gave both sets of directions.

To add the jump rings that make them into pendants, I simply threaded the jump rings like beads onto the ball thread and slid them into place between two chains. I used closed jump rings so there's no danger of their coming undone. I never use open jump rings anymore; if I need to add a finding that can't easily be tatted in like this, I use split rings, which are much more secure. (Note: I'm not talking about tatted split rings here; the split rings I mean are the metal findings that look like miniature key rings.)

Have you ever noticed how most of the photos I take of Squijum show him sleeping? That's because it's almost the only time when he holds still. Otherwise, the photos are a bit blurry.


I did manage to get one good clear shot of him wide awake, though.


10 comments:

  1. It's fun to see what a 'collaboration' can accomplish! I do like the size and 'look' of the red one.

    I solved my own 'big pendant' problem by attaching (with small gold brads) my Mary Konior 'Patchwork' motif to a piece of black velvet paper, which was then attached to a round filigree metal pendant, for 'weight'. The metal pendant had convenient holes to insert two large black jump rings which I then attached to my beaded necklace (actually an eyeglass leash). I was determined to wear this Mary Konior motif! (To see it in my blog type 'Mary Konior' in the search box.)

    GREAT photo of your cat - alert and wide awake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a handsome kitty is he! Love his multi-coloured nose! Never noticed that before.

    It was great fun to see my name in there with the other women all of whom I admire so much! What a treat!

    Your tatting looks great and I love the colours.
    Fox : ))

    p.s. I am going to follow your wise advice, as I agree about the split rings... I need to buy myself a little supply. Out with the jump rings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the two pattern variations side-by-side! Thanks for the tip on the split rings, something I'm sure to use with all the doodads at my disposal.

    I agree with Fox. It is great fun to see my name with other women I admire. You've made me feel like a superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful tatting!!! what a lovely post to read.

    Oh my, I didn't realize the split rings would be a better choice over jump rings. I'll have to visit the craft store tomorrow!

    thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute kitty, beautiful tatting : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just noticed how you added a bead to where you attach the Doodad... How exactly did you manage that?
    Fox : 0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After pulling the loop through the doodad, I used the crochet hook to put the bead on the loop. Then I slid the bead up close to the doodad and passed my shuttle through the loop like normal. Then it was just a matter of drawing the loop up carefully so it tightened evenly.

      Delete
  7. Lovely pendants, great design well done
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. the pendants are gorgeous! love the chunky feel.

    ReplyDelete