"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Color!

The second "Emily" doily is now finished, but not blocked yet. I haven't had a chance when I would be around to keep an eye on Squijum the pin-muncher for the entire time it takes to dry.

The doilies are pretty and elegant in all white, but I have to say, I'm really a fan of color.


This is, of course, Anne Bruvold's Flying Minor Norwegian Dragon, to which I added a lot of beads along the spine and tips of the wings. The thread is one of LadyShuttleMaker's; I think the colorway is "Royalty", but I could be wrong. Sherry? It's size 80.

This pattern calls for SSSR's for the tail and neck, but I always make it with regular split rings instead. You have to add a second thread anyway to make the chains on the body, and that gives you two extra ends to hide. If you start with two threads CTM from the beginning, then you already have what you need when you get to the body and don't have to hide any ends till you finish the head.

I have an idea to tat a second dragon and have their tails twined around each other. I think it will work, but of course I won't know until I try.

8 comments:

  1. Last time I made HDTs was all solid. Still no good - N E E D more colors. Variegated are still the best. By the way, I love your new (blog) look).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Miranda!
    Dein Drache mit den Perlen, sieht wunderschön aus.
    Liebe Grüße von Cornelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dragon looks nice with the beads along his back, sort of like protruding bony bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, the color is lovely and I love how you've added the beads. I always do the dragon with split rings too because it makes fewer ends AND it feels sturdier- maybe I don't do the SSSRs well enough but they feel "floppy" in between. Lovely dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was expecting the beads to ressemble scales, but they do seem more like bones or some other "sturdier" body bits. This enhances the dragon's powerful and dangerous appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensational dragon!

    Especially with the backbone beads. He is wonderful!

    You have inspired me again, as I have never tatted this and keep promising myself that I will. Now must be the time!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!!! I love dragons and this is the first tatted one I see :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really neat! I love the bead placement!! :)

    ReplyDelete