"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Top Secret Project, and In Memorium

Yes, I am still here. Sorry I haven't posted lately, but I've been working on the Top Secret Project, so I really don't have much I can show you. Here's just a hint:

I finished all the tatting for it last night. All I have to do now is mount it on the, um, thing it's going to be mounted on, and mail it to the person I need to mail it to. I should be able to show you the whole thing next week and stop writing moronic sentences like that.

Just as I was wondering what my next project might be, I found out that a childhood friend of mine is getting married. They say they definitely want handmade items, so as soon as I get a few more specifics I'll be starting something for her.

I'm also prepping for a harp gig next Friday. It's going to be a benefit concert for the Alzheimer's Association. I am doing this in honor of my late stepgrandfather, Clifford "Duke" Windsor, who suffered from the disease. Duke was an amazing artist who was always trying new techniques and styles of art. My favorites were his abstract paintings. However, those of you of a certain age might remember a TV show called Winky Dink and You; Duke was involved with the artwork for that show. The last six months of his life were horrible due to Alzheimer's. When he and my Grandma moved to assisted living, he barely understood where he was, and certainly didn't understand why; but there was just no way he could have continued living safely at home, and Grandma couldn't take care of him anymore either. The last time I visited, we took them out to an art museum; he understood that and enjoyed it, but it was such a stressful trip for the rest of us. The minute we got out of the car, he sort of latched onto me. He acted like he was just giving me a hug, but then he didn't let go, and I knew it was because he was afraid of getting lost. Even when we got to the museum and got him in a wheelchair, we still had to always be aware of what he was doing and constantly re-direct him. Toward the end, while he still recognized people, he really had no idea where he was or what was happening around him. I'm just grateful that he had such a rapid decline, instead of lingering for years with the disease the way so many do, and that he and Grandma had 25 wonderful years together. He died in January.

I really didn't mean to say all that. I was just going to say that I might have a little less time to tat this week and next because of the extra harp practice time. Now I've got to go make a salad for the potluck at work tonight. It's the last night for one of our nurses- she's moving to Hawaii, because, apparantly, she is way smarter than the rest of us! And then hopefully I can be in bed by noon so that I can get enough sleep to make it through the night. Aren't you jealous of us night shift workers? I know you are.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how you do that night shift stuff! I worked in Women's Shelters for a few years and the overnights just about did me in! Hats off to you!

    Can't wait to see what you have tatted there...
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suspense over your Top Secret Project is building, and building...AUGH!

    ReplyDelete