"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, August 28, 2015

Assorted Miscellany


I wanted some Swarovski pearls. There was a sale.

Some of them I have plans for. Some I even used right away.


This is the "Celtic Hexad" pendant from Marilee's Beaded Tatting Finery. Lizbeth colors 644 Boysenberry Dark and 663 Bright Turquoise Dark, with Swarovski pearls in lavender. It's my new favorite, but then everything I make out of that book is my new favorite. I swear Marilee doesn't pay me for this.

My favorite material to use as a blocking board is foam core board, the stuff that is sometimes used in picture framing, and sometimes as those pre-made science fair backboards. I usually buy a big sheet of it at Jo-Ann's, but the last time I needed it all they had was a backboard, so I bought one of those. This turned out to be even better. I cut along where it was already scored to make the folding sections of the backboard, and removed those two sides altogether; now I have two smaller pieces that are not so unwieldy for blocking small pieces of tatting, and the larger part from the center is still available for blocking bigger things.

And it turns out if I put one of those smaller sides across my lap, it makes a really handy work surface.


Since tatting supplies are generally small, it holds everything I need and still leaves room for His Lordship in his favorite spot.

I also threw together a couple of tatted corners.


These have to do with the peacock project. They're not quite perfect right angles since I was improvising them, but they're going to be glued down so I can make them lie how I want. All the parts are now ready; it's just a matter of assembly.

8 comments:

  1. I super love the corners and how the rings graduate, look like a great find with the pearls too. Love the project area and with a little friend to help you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The corners do look good! Now to add some beads...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The corners look lovely and the colours would be great for the peacock.
    Your pendant looks lovely.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely corners! I can hardly wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That reminded me. I should have checked at Tesco (did grocery shopping earlier) for a small 'table' to use when I'm on my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pendant and corners!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last few posts have literally left me without words! Your tatting is SO precise and well executed - every time.

    Love the blue motif with big centre bead. I still struggle with all the different methods for attaching beads.

    The peacock is fabbo! I look at the pattern often and freeze! Your rendition is very inspiring. Maybe I'll have another peek...

    Corners look amazing. Will keep watching... : )

    ReplyDelete