"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, July 18, 2013

I could have sworn I had mentioned it...

I really thought I had done a post on this book when I got it a few months ago, but now I can't find it.


It's a reprint of a vintage book, and I think it's kind of funny that they put sewing notions on the cover. Here's the original cover from inside the book.


Unfortunately, there is no information listed on the author or the original publication date. You can buy this reprint at Barnes & Noble.

The next of the motifs for my mom comes from this book


This is Round Motif No. 8917. All the patterns in the book have 4-digit numbers, which I think is funny because there are only 36 of them, and the numbers aren't even in order. I would guess they were culled from some larger publication, but I'll probably never know. The threads are the same as yesterday's.

 EDIT: I meant to mention this before, but I forgot, being too eager to get to my much-delayed supper. As you can see, it is a very simple 3-round motif that is quick and easy to tat. However, there is one design feature I'd like to call your attention to, one which you don't even see till you look very closely. Each of the floating rings in the outer round has an extra DS at the beginning and end, with very small picots by which the ring is joined to the chain. This makes the floating rings much more stable and helps them to sit evenly on the chains (assuming you make all those vsp's uniform, of course). It might not have occurred to me to do this, but now that I have encountered it in this pattern, I might start incorporating this technique in other patterns that feature floating rings.

6 comments:

  1. So well tatted, Miranda! It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you pointed out the detail in the floating rings. I do remember tatting a piece with that detail within the last year, and I found it really did make a nice difference in the look of my tatting. I think that now that you've pointed it out, I will try to remember to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I like the idea of the vsp to stabilize the floating ring- interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! It looks great! (And thanks for the tip on the pattern!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Thanks for mentioning the vsp's to stabilize the floating rings--what a great idea! Now, to etch that idea into my memory so I'll give it a try. That's the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these motifs are beautifully done, as is all your work. I'm sure your mother will be delighted with them. I love those colors. And the floating rings are definitely more stable, without the vsp's being noticeable.

    ReplyDelete