"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mallorn Leaf

"There lie the woods of Lothlorien!" said Legolas. "That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold. Not till spring comes and the new green opens do they fall, and then the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden, and golden is the roof, and its pillars are silver, for the bark of the trees is smooth and grey. So still our songs in Mirkwood say. My heart would be glad if I were beneath the eaves of that wood and it were springtime!"
J. R. R.  Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Here is how I've always imagined the leaves of the mallorn trees in autumn.


The pattern is Jane Eborall's leaf. I had a problem with the tension, though. Jane's seed beads must have been smaller than mine, because the first time I made it, the long beaded picots were way too long for the outer chains and it wouldn't lie flat. I ended up having to use the instructions for the medium leaf on the inside and the large leaf for the outline. The thread is Lizbeth 170, Pineapple Parfait.

6 comments:

  1. Beeeeuuuuuuutttiifffuuuuul! I love it!
    Fox : 0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever combination of the two patterns! It does look tricky with those long picots and all those beads, but it sure worked out beautifully!

    And your previous post is a tutorial on how to tat stems! I'll be printing and saving it for future reference, storing it under the 'Advanced Tatting' tab in my notebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, that is a Mallorn leaf. I have often had a picture in my head of how the wood must look as I read the books over and over. A beech style leaf works perfectly. and that is a good color for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it's beautiful and I love that you've tatted a sort of illustration for J. R. R. Tolkien. He's one of my favourite authors. And books are a lovely way to get inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete