"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Frivolite

I'm still enjoying playing with doodads, and I love Frivole's new design, "Square Elegance". I made it once as written, and once with the 3-round version, which is how Frivole first tatted it.


As with most of Frivole's patterns, I feel this probably looks best in solid colors. That's not to say I won't make it in a variegated thread sometime, because you never know till you try! The one on the left is made in Lizbeth color 651 Blue Medium. The one on the right uses colors 631 Country Purple Light and 657 Ocean Turquoise Dark; for this one, I intentionally allowed color blips to show at the joins for even more visual interest.

I did make a mistake in the turquoise motif, but I don't think you can really tell. Because I was half asleep when tatting the second round, I forgot to make the rings with the second shuttle along two of the sides (top and bottom in the photo). I fixed it in the third round by doing a shoelace trick and making the rings facing inward instead.

What to do with these motifs? I think they would make pretty ornaments or pendants.



I'm taking a little break from doodads now. At the sale, a pair of sisters was considering getting a bookmark for their grandmother, but by the time they had made a decision, all the bookmarks were sold out. My parents know one of them from church, so they put her in touch with me. She said she didn't want very bright colors, so I suggested a few non-bright color combinations just off the top of my head; from my suggestions, she chose burgundy and light blue.


The pattern is the bookmark from Jon Yusoff's beautiful "Sweetheart Set". The threads are Lizbeth 672 Burgundy and 650 Denim Blue Light. I think this is a really pretty combination.

I got an exciting package in the mail today. Because you can never have too many HDT's, I made some purchases from Jess! Her colors are so bright and happy-looking! I can't wait to use some of these.


Finally, I've always wondered... are cats cute on purpose, or can they just not help it?


7 comments:

  1. Hey, Suijum,
    I hope now that Fall is really here you are shedding like crazy all over HER blankets! Maybe leaving a fine hairball while you're at it!

    My human was impressed with all that new coloured thread your human has. YAWN. No good unless you can get into those plastic bags. Yum!

    Catnip kisses,
    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your versions of the square elegance motif.
    have fun with the threads.
    that is a nice color combination and will be a pretty bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like both your motifs, they turned out great. I particularly like the second one with the celtic centre. I also find the colour blips interesting! Might give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lovely motifs, her patterns are wonderful and you have done a brilliant job with them. The colours are lovely.
    I look forward to seeing the bookmark when you have finished it.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both versions of Square Elegance, and I agree that the pattern looks wonderful in solid colors. Funny, I didn't notice the color blips at first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pendants! Got to try that patter!

    I love the colors planned for the bookmark, great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pendants are really wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete