"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, February 17, 2012

Farewell to Gina

I already gave my tribute to Gina in the previous post; however, today is the day when we've been asked to all say something about her. I will just add that there are certain people you can meet online and instantly know that you would like them just as much in person. Gina was one of these people for me. I never got to meet her in person, and that is something I will always regret. It can't be helped, though, and I'm sure Gina wouldn't want me dwelling on it. She would say, "Pick up your shuttles and tat something pretty," so that's what I did.


The pattern is "Girandola" from Iris Niebach's book Tatting Fantasia. I used Lizbeth colors 621 Dusty Rose Light and 612 Golden Yellow Light. Pink and yellow aren't really my colors, but I happened to see the two balls lying next to each other and noticed that they complement each other nicely, so I put them together.

If you're familiar with the pattern, you may notice that I seem to have lost my ability to count. It's only supposed to have six points. I didn't even notice that I had made seven until I was trying to line it up on the scanner. It looks just fine this way, but it won't quite serve my purpose. I'm making a set of hexagonal coasters, and to have one seven-pointed thing would, in my opinion, look wonky. Therefore, I shall put this one in my "grab bag" to share with anyone who wants a piece of tatting and make another. Gina would have found this amusing, I'm sure.

Think of Gina today. Remember her always cheerful and positive outlook on life, and her generosity and helpfulness to her fellow tatters. She touched many lives and will never be forgotten.

If you plan to send a sympathy card, please note that "Brummett" is spelled with 2 m's and 2 t's. I just checked my printout of the Gingerbread Boy pattern to make sure.

5 comments:

  1. So, that is what you were tatting. I like this pattern - I think I might have tatted it, but I cannot remember. Suddenly, I have tatted so many.

    There was a time when I remembered each and every thing I tatted. After three years and hundreds of pattern , no more.

    I like the colours - you can see the pattern. Though I liked the thread I used a lot in the one I did, I will not use a busy thread type again in Iris patterns.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece of tatting, I don't think anyone will notice 7points, Mt piece did not workout completely as it should have,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have to buy one of Iris's books. I always forget by the time I'm somewhere that has them. I'm with Margaret that no-one will notice the 7th point. Our brains really like to fill in information for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ordinarily I would completely agree about the 7th point. In this case, though, I'm putting tatted motifs in those clear acrylic coasters that are designed to hold needlework, and the coasters themselves are hexagonal. All the other motifs will also have six points, and it's my intention to align the tatting with the points on the coasters. So this is one instance where the extra point really will stick out like a sore thumb. There's nothing inherently wrong with the motif, it just doesn't fit what I have planned.

    ReplyDelete